- Sesame seeds 1 cup
- Salt. 1/2 to 1tsp depending on your preference.
- Turmeric 1tsp *Optional
- Cayenne pepper pinch *Optional
- seaweeds 1 Tbs *Optional
- Toast the sesame seeds until they pop
- Place in a blender with some salt
- Whizz for 2 seconds until all the sesame are crushed.
- Don’t over blend or it will turn into a paste
The turmeric, cayenne, seaweeds are all variations.
It can also be made with black sesame seeds, added paprika, rosemary, oregano…black pepper or any thing of your choice.
The origin of Gomasio comes from Japan. It is used in macrobiotic diets. It is a very good way to replace salt and reduce sodium as the mix of salt and sesame enhance the salty taste with very little salt, helps with absorption and is fabulous on the digestive system.
Very versatile. You can use it on salads, on soups, to roll your sweet balls in, on your smoothies. Delicious on stir fry, fried noodles, zoodles or on pastas instead e of parmesan cheese. You could add Nutritional yeast to it for Vegan parmesan!