- Organic fresh unsalted farm butter
- Heat the butter on medium heat until il boils
- Turn down the heat and let it cook for about 20 min
- When boiling it will make a crackling sound
- The milk solids will settle at the bottom on the pan
- When the crackling stops keep on the fire for an other 2 minutes
- Remove from the heat
- Let it cool
- Skim the top. You can use the top creamy layer as a delicious spread
- Strain through a think sieve
- Discard the black milk solids left at the bottom of the pan
- Store in a glass jar
- It can be kept outside for a month
- If you want to keep it longer store in the refrigerator
Ghee is a clarified butter and is the only fat that can be heated to a high temperature. As once the butter is clarified its chemical components will not be change when heated. Other fats create cancerous bi-products when heated.
Ghee also has some anti-inflammatory properties.
Use it on toast, to cook, fry. Delicious on yoghurt. Children love it. It is my only non-vegan recipe!